MS 162 - Winchester and Marlin Firearm Catalogues and Literature
Scope and Contents
Collection includes Winchester catalogs 1960-1999; Winchester price lists begin in 1933 and end in 1991 but are not complete. Marlin price lists consist of the years 1946, 1953, 1961 and 1982; Marlin catalogs include 1960, 1962-1999, and a parts catalog.
- Created: 1933-1999
- Other: Majority of material found in 1960-1999
- Other: Date acquired: 12/00/1999
- Winchester Repeating Arms Company (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
McCracken Library staff may determine use restrictions dependent on the physical condition of manuscript materials. Restrictions may exist on reproduction, quotation or publication. Contact McCracken Research Library for more information.
Biographical or Historical Information
Winchester began in New Haven, Connecticut, in 1849 as the New Haven Arms Company. Purchased by Olin Family’s Western Cartridge Company in 1931 Winchester became the Winchester-Western Co. During World War II the company was acquired by the GIAT Industries (Groupement des Industries de l’Armee de Terre, Army’s Industry Group) owner of Browning Arms and Fabrique Nationale (FN) of Belgium. In the early 1980’s Winchester headquarters moved from New Haven to Alton, IL and the Olin Corporation diversified its interests in firearms through plants in Hingham, Massachusetts, and Japan. The former New Haven headquarters became the U. S. Repeating Arms Company which manufactured ammunition for Winchester firearms. In 1981 employees of the Winchester Corporation purchased the gun-manufacturing division but difficult times during the 1980’s lead to its sale to investors in 1987. Winchester now manufactures only in the United States under the name U.S. Repeating Arms Company. Marlin Firearms Company is considered the oldest family owned firearms company in the United States.
Started in New Haven Connecticut in 1863 by John Mahlon Marlin, Marlin manufactured pistols until the introduction of Ballard rifles in 1875. In 1881 the first lever-action repeating rifle made his company famous and the business was incorporated as the Marlin Firearms Company. During 1915 the capital stock and the Marlin plant were purchased by William P. Bonbright & Co. Inc. under a contract with Albert F. Rockwell. In 1917 Marlin Firearms reorganized and purchased the Hopkins & Allen Arms Company. Despite the efforts to hold on to the company it failed to meet mortgage payments and went into foreclosure in 1922. In 1924 Frank Kenna purchased the buildings that housed the Marlin Firearms Company for $100.00 at a sheriff’s sale. In 1926, after negotiating with the bank to purchase the mortgage of The Marlin Fire Arms Company for $95,000, Kenna reincorporated the company as Marlin Firearms.
Note written by
Language of Materials
Winchester and Marlin catalogs and price lists are arranged according to date.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of James S. Rhodebeck, December, 1999.
Accruals and Additions
Winchester 1982 Catalog ADW07-1181, Gift of Jim Nielson, 1998/03/11
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Karen Preis, 2008
- Description rules
- Other Unmapped
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the McCracken Research Library Repository
720 Sheridan Ave.
Cody WY 82414-3428 US